Dark Matter

Overwhelming evidence from astrophysical observations indicates that only 20% of the matter in the universe is made of ordinary matter, the remaining 80% is made of some form of matter called “dark matter”. Although these indirect astrophysical observations convince us that dark matter exists, dark matter has not yet been directly observed. Large detectors with excellent detection capability for rare collisions are needed to gain knowledge of the nature of dark matter. The search for WIMPs is in full swing with a large number of direct-detection experiments using a variety of techniques underway around the world.

dark matter halo surrounding the visible galaxy
Dark matter halo surrounding the visible galaxy